We were first told coconut oil’s saturated fat caused heart disease. Now we’re told coconut oil promotes weight loss. So what does coconut oil do?
Coconut oil is high in natural saturated fats. Saturated fats help in increasing the healthy cholesterol (known as HDL) in your body, also help to convert the LDL “bad” cholesterol into good cholesterols. Increasing the HDL’s in the body, helps to promote heart health, and lower the risk of heart disease.
Each tablespoon of coconut oil provides 130 calories, this increase in metabolism can easily be offset if large amounts are consumed. Have you envied the long jet black hair of your South Indian friends, the secret : “Coconut Oil” ofcourse.
Coconut oil benefits include skin care, hair care, weight loss, improving digestion and immunity.
Skin Care: Coconut oil helps in preventing degenerative diseases like premature aging due to its well-known antioxidant properties. It also helps in treating various skin problems, including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections.
Hair Care: Coconut Oil helps in healthy growth of hair and gives your hair a shiny quality. It is also highly effective in reducing protein loss.
Weight Loss: Coconut oil helps to reduce abdominal obesity in women. It is also easy to digest and it helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and endocrine system.
Immunity: Coconut oil helps to strengthens the immune system because it contains antimicrobial lipids, lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, which have antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties.
Here are some uses for Coconut Oil:
- Facial Highlighter: A tiny amount on your fingertip spread on top of your cheekbones after you’ve applied makeup, works to highlight and add an extra glow.
- Massage Oil: The oil absorbs quickly, but not ultra fast, which means it keeps your hands slick when you’re giving a back massage. Did we mention that coconut oil smells amazing? Like a beach vacation? Because it does.
- Body Balm: Mix coconut oil with Shea butter to treat yourself to your own massage that keeps your skin soft and smooth long after the rub is over.
- Body Scrub: Add a little sugar to the oil and you’ve got an awesome, all natural, exfoliating and moisturizing scrub that rivals a spa experience.
- Hand Moisturizer: You might not want to do this on-the-go. But at home, when you can wait for it to sink in, it works to keep your hands soft.
- Lip Balm: Just a small amount applied to lips keeps them soft and kissable.
Cuticle Cream: Keep fungus and bacteria at bay, while also softening your cuticles, by rubbing it into them during manis and pedis.
- Makeup Remover: This works fast, but be careful not to let it get to your eye. Just a bit on a cotton pad does the trick.
- Facial Moisturizer: This works best for normal skin types. If you’re not sure, try applying a thin layer of oil to your face, massaging it in and then rinsing it off with your cleanser.
Vedic Delite Coconut Oil
Vedic Delite Organic Coconut Oil is rich in fatty acids, particularly Lauric Acid.
Rustic Art Organic Coconut Oil 200mL
A must have in every home! This oil is multi-purpose and can be used on skin as well as hair.
Conscious Food Cold Pressed Coconut Oil 500mL
Cold Pressed Organic Coconut Oil is good not only for the hair and skin, but maintains cholesterol levels, aids weight loss, increases immunity.
Coconut Oil and Honey Hair Mask
For this recipe, simply pour honey and coconut oil into a pan and heat it on a stove until it’s melted. Allow the mixture to be cool to the touch and then apply it on dry hair, split ends and scalp. Massage with your fingers and leave it on for about 20 minutes before washing it out.